Are you researching ways you can ease your parent’s fears?
Do you want to make things as simple as possible?
It’s important to be able to speak to your parent openly about their wishes. According to the National Institute of Aging, documents that are recommended that ensure you and your loved one are protected at the end of their life include:
- Living will: Records a person’s wishes for medical treatment near the end of life.
- Durable power of attorney for health care: Designates a person, sometimes called an agent or proxy, to make health care decisions when the person can no longer do so.
- Do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order: Instructs health care professionals not to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation if a person’s heart stops or if he or she stops breathing. A DNR order is signed by a doctor and put in a person’s medical chart.
- Will: Indicates how a person’s assets and estate will be distributed upon death.
- Durable power of attorney for finances: Names someone to make financial decisions when the person no longer can. It can help terminally ill people and their families avoid court actions that may take away control of financial affairs.
- Living trust: Provides instructions about the person’s estate and appoints someone, often referred to as the trustee, to hold the title to property and funds for the beneficiaries. The trustee follows these instructions after the person can no longer manage his or her affairs.
Best Memory Care in Ann Arbor: Schedule a Tour Today!
Is your parent prepared for their end of life care? Discussing moving your parent into assisted living can be a scary thing for any adult to face. However, it’s the scary reality of so many in this country. We can help your family create peace of mind. When you’re at home, you’ll know your loved one is taken care of and in good hands!
For more information about memory care in Ann Arbor and the other services we provide, visit us at HillsideTerrace.net, or contact us here! Hillside Terrace – “Where our family shares life with your family!” Schedule a tour today!