You’ve heard it before and we’ll say it again: laughter is the best medicine! Well, as far as non-medicine medicines go. There’s no replacing blood pressure prescriptions if that’s something your doctor has assessed you need, but the powerful medicine of laughter can do wonders for our health.
Read a list of the amazing benefits of laughter!
- Studies show that taking a break to laugh can improve your short-term memory performance by 40%. That’s a big deal as we start to get older.
- Laughing significantly reduces levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, which is linked to cardiovascular disease.
- A good laugh relaxes the entire body and can alleviate muscle tension and stress.
- Laughter releases endorphins, the body’s natural pain killer lessening the aches and pains common with old age for up to two hours.
- A healthy chuckle reduces blood pressure and improves circulation and oxygenation.
- Laughing regularly boosts the immune system and the body’s ability to fight disease and infection.
- Laughter reduces stress, anxiety, and depression while increasing levels of dopamine in the body.
- Laughing exercises the muscles of the core which are crucial for breathing, posture, and mobility.
To add some laughter into your day, choose comedies over dramas, get everyone to tell a joke or funny story at dinner, or subscribe to a joke of the day email and share it with friends.
If you have questions about the power of laughter or providing elderly care in Ann Arbor, please give us a call. We’re confident you’ll see the difference in quality of care when our family shares life with yours. Schedule a tour of our facilities today.