Does your loved one feel like a stranger?
Are you struggling with ways to cope with these changes in your loved ones’ personality?
According to A Place For Mom, “although this can be a difficult situation to deal with, it helps to remember that this is not something you are causing in your loved one, rather, that the behavior is the direct result of the health condition.” Please know that nothing you did made them this way.
Lewy Body Dementia Association (LBDA) suggests that “when your loved one exhibits an undesirable behavior, your reaction may be to try to stop or change the behavior. But remember, you can't reason with or teach new skills to a person with dementia. Instead, try to decrease the intensity or frequency of the behavior. Consider these approaches:
- Remember that your loved one isn't acting this way on purpose. Try not to get angry or upset or take it personally.
- Speak calmly and softly to the person.
- If the behavior is aggressive, back away. Give your loved one space. Then calmly approach him or her. Don't argue.
- Consider the potential cause of the behavior. Is your loved one tired, hungry, in pain, frustrated, lonely, bored? Could it be a side effect of medication?
- Respond to the emotion, not the behavior. If your loved one keeps asking about a certain family member, he or she may need reassurance that this person is healthy and safe. Avoid trying to reason with the patient, this may often lead to frustration for both of you, because he or she may be unable to follow lengthy explanations.”
Best Memory Care in Ann Arbor: Schedule a Tour Today!
Is your parent prepared for their end of life care? Discussing moving your parent into assisted living can be a scary thing for any adult to face. However, it’s the scary reality of so many in this country. We can help your family create peace of mind. When you’re at home, you’ll know your loved one is taken care of and in good hands!
For more information about memory care in Ann Arbor and the other services we provide, visit us at HillsideTerrace.net, or contact us here! Hillside Terrace – “Where our family shares life with your family!” Schedule a tour today!