Are your parents able to remember when to take their medications?
Are your parents forgetful?
According to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), “Nearly one-third of adults take five or more different medications. Given the volume of medications being taken, medication-related injuries may seem inevitable; however, injuries due to errors in medication prescribing, dispensing and administration are preventable.”
Taking medications properly is important to the health and well-being of your parent. If prescription drugs are not taken as prescribed by your parents’ doctors, they could suffer from complications.
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services advises that the best way you can help to prevent errors is to be an active member of your parents’ health care team by doing the following:
1. Making sure that your parents’ doctors know about every medicine they’re taking.
2. Bringing all of their medicine and supplements to their doctor appointments.
3. Asking for more information on your parents’ medicines in terms you can understand.
4. Making sure their doctor is aware of their allergies.
5. If you have questions about the directions on your parents’ medicines labels, ask!
6. Asking for written information about the side effects your parents’ medicine could cause.
7. Speaking up if you have questions or concerns about your parents’ care.
8. When they’re discharged from the hospital after a surgery, ask their doctor to explain their treatment plan you should follow at home.
Senior Care Centers in Ann Arbor: Make Hillside Terrace Your Parents’ Home Away From Home!
Nestled in the heart of the Old West Side on 10 acres of orchard and gardens, Hillside Terrace offers a diverse combination of residents that will quickly become members of your loved one’s family.
Our "Aging by Choice" philosophy allows a flexibility of options for our residents and their families; you choose what is best for you, and we make it possible. We’re confident in our ability to provide the best quality of care, the security, and the family atmosphere that you’re seeking! We warmly invite you to see the difference we can make when your family shares life with our family. Schedule a tour of Hillside Terrace today – a senior care center in Ann Arbor.